Skip to main content


An academic appointee is considered to be on a leave of absence any time he or she takes a leave from normal duties during the prescribed periods of service. All Health Sciences faculty and academics are eligible for a leave of absence with prior approval. Please note that academic appointees who take leave without obtaining formal approval are in violation of University Policy. It is extremely important that leaves be approved in advance of departure. Leaves of 10 or fewer working days require approval from the Department Chair. Longer leave requests should be received in the Health Sciences Academic Affairs Office at least one month prior to the requested effective date to allow sufficient time for processing. Sabbatical requests should always be submitted one quarter or three months in advance. 

HSCP Leaves Information

HSCP Members Only 

Revisions have been made to the HSCP Implementation Guidelines regarding Faculty Leave Benefits, effective July 1, 2023. HSCP Leaves guide is available for reference.

Research-Related Leave

Professional Meeting 

With approval from the Department Chair, Health Sciences faculty and academics may take leaves with pay to attend professional meetings or conferences for up to 10 service days. The Health Sciences Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs may approve longer leaves with pay up to 30 calendar days. Professional leaves of more than 30 days in length must use vacation pay or unpaid leave. For specific policy, see APM 752 and PPM 230-10.K. 

Regular Sabbatical Leave 

Only Ladder-Rank faculty are eligible for sabbatical leaves, which enables the faculty member to engage in intensive programs of research and/or study, becoming more effective teachers and scholars and enhancing their services to the University. Health Sciences faculty members earn a maximum of 4 sabbatical credits each fiscal year for service at 50% time or more. Credits are not accrued during periods of leave without pay, leave with pay for 3 or more months, and sabbatical leave. Application for sabbatical leave using the ALAS form is submitted to the Department Chair and includes a detailed description of the proposed project or sabbatical plan. The Department forwards requests to the VCHS Academic Affairs Office for processing and approval. A sabbatical leave is approved with the understanding that following the leave, the faculty member will return to service for a period equal to the period of the sabbatical leave or they are obligated to refund the entire salary received for the period of the leave. Upon return from leave, a sabbatical report MUST be submitted to the Department Chair within 90 days. The report is forwarded from the Department to the VCHS Academic Affairs Office. Sabbatical leaves may be taken at various percentages with prorated credits used. 

For specific policy, see APM 740 and PPM 230-10. G. 

Sabbatical Leave in Residence 

An "In Residence" sabbatical differs from a normal sabbatical in that it requires the faculty member to teach at least 3 hours each week or to substitute significant University service for some or all of the teaching requirements; however, substitution of significant service requires Executive Vice Chancellor approval as an exception. This leave requires fewer sabbatical credits, but may only exempt faculty from administrative, university, and/or departmental service. These leaves require the usage of about two-thirds of the number of sabbatical credits required for a regular sabbatical. 

For specific policy, see PPM 230-10. G. 

Leave with Pay in lieu of Sabbatical 

Faculty in the In Residence, Clinical X, Salaried Adjunct, and Health Sciences Salaried Clinical series are not eligible for sabbatical leave. However, they are entitled to request leave with pay in lieu of sabbatical if appropriate funding is available. Eligibility for this type of leave is based on length of service and is patterned after the sabbatical policy, except there are no credits accrued or deferred. For specific policy, see PPM 230-10. H. 

Leave from Professorial Duties to Conduct Research 

The purpose of this type of leave is to allow a faculty member to take leave from professorial duties to focus exclusively on research while remaining at UCSD. This will require a change to the Professional Research series since the faculty member is generally paid from grant funding under a research title for the duration of the leave. No ALAS form is required when research is conducted at UCSD; however, the department should submit a memo to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs 3-4 weeks before the effective date outlining the proposal. An ALAS form is only required when the research is conducted at a location other than UCSD or the faculty member leaves UCSD for more than 10 service or 14 calendar days during the course of the leave. For specific policy, see PPM 230-10.O. 

Government-Related Leave

Jury Duty 

Jury duty is a paid leave, the faculty member should discuss the absence with their Department Chair. The Jury Duty intake form should be submitted to ARC at the end of Jury Duty for processing. See APM 758. 

Military Leave 

Individuals who have been in service to UCSD for a full year prior to the military leave will be granted a leave with pay for the first 30 calendar days of military leave. Leaves for greater than one year require Executive Vice Chancellor approval, except for salaried Clinical faculty in which case the Health Sciences Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs has approval authority. All requests are submitted to the VCHS Academic Affairs Office. For specific policy, see APM 751 and the Supplement to Military Pay Policy. 

Child- and Family-Related Leave

Childbearing Leave 

Childbearing leaves are granted upon request by a faculty or academic appointee who bears a child for the period prior to, during, and after childbirth. These leaves are granted for disability due to pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions based upon department-specific policies. Appointees who request this type of leave will need to complete the FAR form. Appointees at the Assistant rank will automatically have their probationary period extended by one year unless they elect to opt out on the FAR form. They will also have the option to defer their academic review for one year in conjunction with the extension of the probationary period. A probationary extension can only be requested up to the beginning of the 6th year. Please note that only two extensions and two deferrals for family accommodation are allowed for all Assistant rank faculty and academics. See APM 760-25, PPM 230-15 and HSCP.

Parental Leave (Child bonding leave) 

Parental leaves are granted upon the request of a faculty or academic appointee who has substantial responsibility for the care of a newborn or newborn adopted child of appointee, spouse, or domestic partner. May request a one-year deferral of his or her normally scheduled merit review as a family accommodation. Faculty members may receive a maximum of two merit review deferrals per event. A deferral may be granted even if the faculty member does not take a formal leave. 

A FAR form must be completed and submitted to VC Academic Affairs for approval. See APM 760-27, PPM 230-15 and HSCP. 

Active Service-Modified Duties 

Active Service-Modified Duties (ASMD) is NOT considered a type of leave but a modification of normal duties to care for a family member as follows: to prepare for or provide for the care of a newborn, adopted, or foster child , to provide care for a seriously ill family member, to provide substantial care for an elder family member. ASMD normally occurs from 3 months prior to the 12 months following the birth or placement of the child or when substantial care for a seriously ill family member or elder occurs. The possible duration of time is up to two quarters of ASMD . This request is determined by department-specific policies. A FAR form must be completed and submitted to VC Academic Affairs for approval. See APM 760-28 and PPM 230-15 

Family and Medical Leave 

Family and Medical Leaves under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) are available for all eligible faculty or academics, which entitles them to take an unpaid leave or to substitute accrued vacation or sick leave for up to 12 weeks per calendar year with a continuance of health plan coverage as if on pay status and reinstatement rights. This type of leave can be taken for the following reasons: 

The appointee's own serious health condition. 

To care for the appointee's child, parent, spouse, or domestic partner with a serious health condition. 

To care for the appointee's newborn child or a child newly placed with the appointee for adoption or foster care. 

See APM 715 and PPM 230-15.

Bereavement Leave 

Bereavement is a paid leave, up to 10 days for the passing of a family member or member of the household and up to 5 days for the passing of a non-family member. The faculty member should discuss their absence with their Department Chair. The Bereavement intake form should be submitted to ARC at the end of leave for processing. See APM 758