Skip to main content


International Services and Engagement Office

UCSD must comply with federal regulations regarding the employment of international faculty and researchers (non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents). Each international faculty member or researcher must either have immigration status that permits employment at UCSD or have been granted permission to work by the Department of Homeland Security. 

ISEO handles most applications and information regarding visas and immigration matters. However, J-1 or H-1B visa applications must be handled through the applicant's home department and the Academic Resource Center. 

Immigration restrictions are subject to change depending on current legislation and regulations. Please contact the UCSD International Center for current information on visa and immigration matters whenever an international academic is being considered for employment. Faculty and researchers’ arrival and departure should also be reported to the International Center. 

Information about different types of visas can be found in the content of the UCSD PPM, Section 200-16.